Pages

Tuesday, September 22

Vampire

vampire
A man has only one escape from his old self: to see a different self in the mirror of some woman's eyes.
Claire Booth Luce

Isn't that what we all strive for?
To be seen by our lover as a better person than we see ourselves?
We hope that they can look beyond all of those idiosyncrasies, those things we cannot abide in ourselves, and see instead the person we wish to be. That they may help us become more like that which we desire to be.

So why does it always seem that women get the short end of this stick? That we are supposed to tolerate constant comparisons to embryonic twits that leave us only more ambiguous, more fearful to gaze at ourselves? Smaller, diminished in some way, in order to keep him happy? While he grows and blossoms under our loving touch.

De Beauvoir --I think?-- says that it's women only that possess the amazing power of reflecting a man's image back to him doubled in size...
and only half of her own.

That's how I am feeling today.
Half of myself.
The least important half of a happy couple.
My first instinct is to beat myself up for feeling this way. Some form of my vicious hatred of self pity. If you know me at all you know that I don't tolerate antagonism well. Yes, not one of my better qualities. I do not suffer fools either. And if you want to go rounds with me you'd better do it wearing armor because I like to fight. I didn't come by my former name accidently. I earned it.

And so my first instinct is to lash out when I'm feeling any form of self-loathing. Lash at myself, lash at anyone within scratching distance. Never unjustly though - it does take a lot to piss me off.

But protecting loved ones is one point where I never hesitate - and my wrath is awesome. But with every drop of blood drawn I become less. And he grows. I swear love is leeching. It sucks the blood from my very veins sometimes. I give my strength and once given it can never be restored. That part gone.

And would he prefer that? To see his lover diminished? No. That's what he finds attractive. So when she has drained her very spirit for him he looks upon her as weak. And he must look for someone new and vibrant. Someone to feed the appetite of a strong man like himself.

I find it sickening.
And gross.

And I will staunch that flow and restore myself.
No one may take from me and I have no need.

6 comments:

13messages said...

Such a very strong post. I have great respect for you.

TG said...

Deep with multiple layers. Excellent, T!

kastz said...

like the blog thanks for the comment did you sign up?

rage said...

It's sad that women feel that they have to uphold such higher standards than men,

I had a day just like that today and it was the suck.

Big hugs.

Rhi said...

Isn't that what we all strive for?
To be seen by our lover as a better person than we see ourselves?


Isn't that what we want from most of the people around us, that love us.

T - Another Geek Girl said...

Thanks to you all.
I was a little perturbed when I wrote this.

Rhi, I couldn't have said it better myself... heh