Pages

Saturday, November 14

Logos

words meanings

    Halfway through shaving it came–
    the word for a poem.
    I should have scribbled it
    on the mirror with a soapy finger,

    Gone Forever ~~ Barriss Mills

    Lately it seems as if words have lost their meaning. Where once there was a wealth, seemingly endless, now there is a dearth. I feel empty. Exhausted.

    Mnemosyne has cradled my head and brought me back to places past. Places which I have no desire to revisit. I wake up in the middle of the night to whispered words, the voice my own. Yet they will not stay with me. I force them from my mouth again and again, as if speaking them aloud will transform them into something substantial, some form that I can retrieve in the morning's light. But this is an exercise in futility. What I have left, the gossamer remnants, are scattered on random slips of paper that I leave where they fall.

    I find them later and wonder why.

    Her memories have been lost in death.
    I mourn for them.


    My blood runs, thick as stones

    The mind's eye is deceitful.
    It shows us a face we can live with.


    Perhaps I just need rest.
    so that we may sleep... when sleep will have us

    I have no choice. I can never connect the psyche and the logos in this state.

    I will sleep
    when the last star
    has lost its light
    and my love is
    wrapped around me
    Like my own skin


    Let me tell you this once
    (I will not be able to say it again):
    I have lost the meaning of words.
    Heavy, they ripped
    away from the sounds,
    fell into cracked ground.

    Naming ~~ Nancy Mair


    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

     


    Hang with Me on Twitter: @a_geek_girl


    Currently Reading: I'm working on my latest book review for Blogcritics. Dead Air by Deborah Shlian and Linda Reid ~ due for release in December.

      9 comments:

      Ms Scarlett said...

      I'm sure every writer encounters this from time to time... which I'm also sure doesn't make you feel any better. But this is a beautifully-written post - clearly the words are still there.

      Rex Venom said...

      Words and their meaning are never lost, though they do change. It is us; the reader, the writer, the thinker, who changes. But don't fret. We all change again.
      Rock on!
      (and, if you wish to sort of reload your wordings, watch some Deadwood. Interesting styles)

      Unknown said...

      You are a gifted writer Tricia. And even gifted writers need their rest. I am glad you mentioned this. I am sending you love and (((HUGS)))! :)

      The Panserbjørne said...

      The amusing thing is that even your musings about struggling to find words are better-written than 99% of the drivel that permeates much of the "blogosphere". For my part, I'm content to read whatever you care to put up, whenever you feel like sharing it -- whether it's timely or not.

      -- PB

      Emma B. said...

      I second what Panserbjorne said, and Ms. Scarlett and Rex and Michael...I don't have any words either but I always enjoy yours!

      T - Another Geek Girl said...

      Ms Scarlett, I just needed some rest. Feeling much more connected now.

      T - Another Geek Girl said...

      Michael, thanks for the love and hugs. You've known me a long time. I do have to stop and refuel. Gifted writer... thank you. You know the feeling is reciprocated.

      T - Another Geek Girl said...

      PB, that's got to be the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. Talk like that is enough to inspire me to pull myself out of my funk.

      I slept for a long time, woke up feeling better, but it's a bit of a struggle to make my mind go to that place.

      nothingprofound said...

      This is a fabulous post. So well-written. Reminds me of what John Cage said:

      "I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."